If the situation involves a serious water leak, locate the main water valve in your rental property/unit and turn it to the off/closed position.
Dishwasher won’t turn on
- Check the main breaker
- Check to ensure that the lock is engaged
- Check timer setting to ensure it is aligned properly
- Newer dishwashers may have a reset button under the unit. To access, remove the bottom panel and locate the red reset switch.
Garbage disposal not operating
- Is the garbage disposal making a humming sound? Run your hand along the bottom of the unit to find the reset button. Once you find the button, press it to reset the disposal
- Is the garbage disposal humming and not turning? Look for the disposal wrench attached to the disposal and use it to turn the bottom of the disposal counter clockwise. Then press the reset button on the bottom of the disposal
- TIP: Grind 2 lemon peel wedges and ice to help prevent odors
Toilet Runs Constantly
- Check for kink or disconnect of lift chain from the handle lever which is preventing the flap to seat properly
- If unable to stop toilet run – turn off water to the toilet using the knob behind the toilet until maintenance is able to access the problem. This will prevent high water bills
Water puddling around toilet
- Sometimes caused by condensation build up on the toilet tank.
- If not condensation, submit maintenance request through the tenant portal
- Use appropriate liquid drain cleaner from local market (do not use drain cleaner if the home is on a septic tank).
- Use ball or flange plunger
- Make sure hair and grease are not disposed in the toilet or sink
Smoke detector beeping
- Change battery. If problem persists, the detector may need to be replaced. Do Not Remove Detector. It is required by law.
No Hot water
- Check pilot light on water heater if gas. If the pilot light is out, please contact the energy provider to re-light. If problem persists, submit maintenance request through the tenant portal.
- If hot water tank is electric, check main breaker
- If the digital thermostat is not working check/change the batteries
- Check the main breaker if applicable
- Check the furnace power switch (located on the side of the furnace or on the wall by furnace)
- Check that you have a clean air filter installed. Remember per your lease you are responsible for changing the filter regularly.
- Check that the pilot light is on (if pilot light model). If pilot light is out, please contact energy provider to re-light. If problem persists, submit maintenance request through the tenant portal.
Appearance of Mold
- Refer to the EPA booklet issued when you were leased first – A Brief guide to Mold and Moisture in your Home
- If problem persist, after following suggestions submit a maintenance request
- Locate the GFCI outlets (outlets with the test and reset buttons) and press the reset button of all GFCI outlets.
- Look for GFCIs in bathrooms, kitchens, basements, garages and on the home’s exterior. Test and reset every GFCI you can find.
- Make sure the power is not out in the area – call the utility company
- Check your main breakers
Potential charges to Tenant
- The cost for any maintenance repairs that are deemed to have been caused by your misuse or negligence.
- Calls where no problem is found by the technician.
- Missed scheduled appointments